[darcs-users] Is darcs optimize --compress still useful?

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 08:15:50 UTC 2009

The manual says:

  By default the patches in the repository are compressed. These use less
  disk space, which translates into less bandwidth if the repository is
  accessed remotely.  [...] You may want to uncompress the patches when
  you've got enough disk space but are running out of physical memory.

AFAICT the only way uncompressed files would require less memory is if
Darcs kept both the compressed AND uncompressed copies of the file in
memory.  I seem to recall that this was a problem in older releases, but
was fixed around the 2.1 or 2.2 release.

That being the case, can we get rid of these options, and (eventually)
get rid of support for uncompressed patches altogether?