[darcs-users] Benchmarking "get"

Bertram Felgenhauer int-e at gmx.de
Wed Mar 18 00:53:07 UTC 2009

Ian Lynagh wrote:
[snip]
> int-e suggested the use of "git gc --aggressive":
>
> 75136   gitgc
>
> which, based on the output, I assume is compressed:
> Counting objects: 156937, done.
> Compressing objects: 100% (156581/156581), done.
> Writing objects: 100% (156937/156937), done.
> Total 156937 (delta 125025), reused 0 (delta 0)

Indeed. Conceptually, git stores whole file contents for all revisions
in blob objects, but git can store multiple objects (blobs, trees,
commits, signed tags) in pack files. Within a pack file, objects can
be encoded as a reference to another object and a delta.

http://metalinguist.wordpress.com/2007/12/06/the-woes-of-git-gc-aggressive-and-how-git-deltas-work/
or http://tinyurl.com/c9zkxv

explains some of the consequences in the context of git gc --aggressive.
(When suggesting the --aggressive option, I assumed that git-fast-import
was used to create the repo.)

Bertram