[darcs-users] previewing the path to darcs 3

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Wed Mar 18 10:48:11 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 09:01:19 +0100, Florent Becker wrote:
> [sorry for going into coq-specifics]

This sounds like a great place to be having this discussion.

> Finally an idea: how about making darcs-user the default destination for patches
> against camp and the camp paper. This would not change the signal to noise ratio
> here in a perceptible way, but it would convey the message that the theory and the
> implementation are going forward.

Or maybe this is is two proposals in one?  That camp patches go to a
mailing list, and that the camp mailing list me merged into the darcs
mailing list.  I have no opinion either way.  For the conflicts work
getting to darcs-2, I think we created an auxiliary list,
darcs-conflicts, but it didn't get used very much.

I do hope that one of the results of the Hackathon is that we get a
clearer picture on our long term darcs 3 strategery.  For example, do we
continue the path of chipping away at the darcs source, continuously
massaging and refining it until we get to point where we've turned
darcs-core into a standalone library and can choose to import camp-core
as well?  Or do we go the route of writing a whole new revision control
system on the side and flipping the switch one day?  And if we choose
one path or the other or even if we decide to hedge our bets by trying
both paths at once, how do we go about it?  When do what things need to
happen?  I won't go into all the details (I'm still sorting them out for
myself in my head and paper so that if I can make the most use of Ian's
time if we get a chance to chat about this), but I think it will be good
to have a few more explicit ideas about The Future.