[darcs-users] darcs patch: make rollback smarter about breaking up ... (and 5 more)

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Wed Mar 18 19:53:45 UTC 2009

Thanks!

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 20:14:15 +0100, Reinier Lamers wrote:
> It's so big with all the context it's even giving my mail client's editor a
> hard time :-(. Anyway, here's a review.

Hmm.  I don't know if this helps, but I use the scripts in
  http://code.haskell.org/darcs/darcs-team
which I have bound to some shortcuts in my text editor.

This has the advantage of breaking up the bundle into visually
distinct patches, which I feel makes the review easier to follow

> >[make rollback smarter about breaking up changes.
> >David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net>**20081115212255
> >-               existing_files (sort_coalesceFL $ effect ps) $ \ (_:>ps'')
> > -> +               existing_files (concatFL $ mapFL_FL canonize $
> >+                               sort_coalesceFL $ effect ps) $ \ (_:>ps'')
> > -> do when (nullFL ps'') $ do logMessage "No changes selected!" exitWith
> > ExitSuccess
> >             let make_log = world_readable_temp "darcs-rollback"
>
> This canonizes the patches before rolling them back. While this doesn't hurt,
> I don't see why this is an improvement. Haven't they been canonized when they
> were recorded?

I could have sworn that I had already reviewed and applied this in the
past.  I'll look through it again later and update you on this.

Without thinking too deeply about it, I suspect the idea is that this
canonisation lets you merge together patches from different records
(since you can rollback more than one patch).

> I suppose this makes darcs really create an old-fashioned inventory when the
> user tells it to do so, when putting a darcs-1 repo.

Yep.  I'll mark issue1255 as resolved.

I've applied the rest of your patches thanks to your review.

Cheers,

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9