[darcs-users] Data loss bug when renaming and replacing a non standard token?

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Sun Mar 22 18:55:32 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 17:00:14 +0000, Ashley Moran wrote:
> One of my clients stumbled across a very specific set of operations that
> cause data loss.

Sorry to hear that.

When you say data loss, are you referring to stuff in his/her working
directory that was lost?

If not, you can recover the original data by unpulling one of the
conflicting patches

> Fortunately it was really minor (a few lines), but very
> suprising behaviour.  It happens when pulling a patch that renames a file
> AND replaces a token with the token chars '[%r/]'.  Darcs says there is a
> conflict, but does not create a backup file with the existing data.
> Is this is a bug, or are we abusing `darcs replace`?  (Or both?)

So to make sure I'm on the same page: are you referring specifically
to the failure to back up a file in the presence of a conflict?

Please submit a report to bugs at darcs.net, and also create a test case
for our bugs/ directory and darcs send it (since you *almost* have one!
:-D).  One thing that may be worth checking is if the use of darcs
replace is a red herring, and if a mv conflict suffices to trigger this
situation, or perhaps a mv with any other sort of conflict.

Thanks,

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9