[darcs-users] Data loss bug when renaming and replacing a non standard token?

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Sun Mar 22 21:04:29 UTC 2009

On Sunday 22 March 2009, Dan Pascu wrote:
> 2. Even though there was a replace patch that changed '%r/' to '/', in
> the merged result, the lines that were added but not yet recorded in
> repo2, still contain %r/. I was under the impression that a replace
> patch is useful exactly for these situations as it will combine with
> the changes that may have still added the old token on the receiving
> side and change those entries to the new token as well. But here we see
> that the newly added lines kept the original token and were not
> affected by the replace patch. Is this expected behavior, and if so
> what is the usefulness of a replace patch if it doesn't do more than a
> find/replace in the editor does? At least the documentation explained
> this expected behavior for the replace patch and use it a a reason why

Just to avoid any confusion here, the documentation explains that a
replace patch will combine on the receiving end with the additional old
tokens that were added by the receiving side before pulling the replace
patch and will change them too and this is what makes it better than a
simple find and replace with an editor.

--
Dan