[darcs-users] Improving tests

Simon Michael simon at joyful.com
Tue Mar 24 17:47:41 UTC 2009

Hi Reinier.. thanks for working on this, a big +1 from me. If I can show
up over irc, this is an area I'd like to help with.

I think a suite of tests that an average developer can run immediately
(in 10 seconds at most) is very important. The slow/thorough tests we
have now are no doubt valuable but basically nobody runs them. They are
probably most useful for buildbots and pre-release testing. We should
also have a fast suite that tests as much as it can within a short time.

Also, I think this should be built in to darcs. One reason is that it's
reassuring for any darcs user to be able to see a bunch of tests pass as
a sanity check of their binary, platform or whatever. It's also useful
for us to troubleshoot issues in the field. Another reason is so that we
can run the tests as part of the searchpath auto-rebuild target ("make
ci"). This way as you tweak code you get instant validation, first from
ghc and second from the fast test suite.