[darcs-users] Suggestion: remind user of DARCS_EMAIL

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 22:45:07 UTC 2009

Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> writes:

> In general, I tend to be nervous about setting global things
> automatically, because I suspect that what tends to happen is that users
> don't notice it and the system becomes a lot more magical and less
> transparent.  Not sure if I'm making a lot of sense, though.

It seems to me that argument applies almost as much to
_darcs/prefs/author, and that if you are really such "magic" you would
be arguing for Darcs refusing to record patches until you manually set
an identity.

Or worse, you could do what some of the other VCSs do and silently
fallback on an author string made by combining

    GECOS name ' <' login name '@' fully qualified host name '>'

e.g. getting for me the completely meaningless

    Trent W. Buck <twb at Clio.testnet.cyber.com.au>