[darcs-users] Suggestion: remind user of DARCS_EMAIL

Ashley Moran ashley.moran at patchspace.co.uk
Wed Mar 25 01:38:51 UTC 2009

Bearing in mind what Eric said:

> I'm inclined to agree with Kevin about leaving the actual behaviour as
> is.  I wouldn't mind a help text that more strongly encouraged the use
> of ~/.darcs/author or DARCS_EMAIL.

I had no idea you could create a ~/.darcs/author file!

So I say strongly *yes* to Max's idea.  My ideal workflow would be
along the lines:

`darcs record` for the first time in a user account
Enter your email
Prompt:
   "Would you like to save this as a global email?"
If yes - save to ~/.darcs/author
        - Display: "Email saved to ~/.darcs/author"
If no  - save to _darcs/prefs/author
        - Display: "Email saved for this repo only"

Unless there's a reason why the prompting should include DARCS_EMAIL?
(Is there any reason to use DARCS_EMAIL over ~/.darcs/author?)

Arguably DARCS_EMAIL should take precedence, to allow the user to
override the ~/.darcs/author on a per-command basis.

Finally, would it make sense to display the email that was used to
record each patch as the very last line of the `darcs record` output?
eg:

"Patch created with author: ashley.moran at patchspace.co.uk (from _darcs/
prefs/author|~/.darcs/author|DARCS_EMAIL)"

Probably not all these changes are necessary.  But I've found this to
be one of the few really ugly bits in darcs's interface, and choosing
your identity when you record a patch is important.

Of course, all this is beyond my patching ability ;)

Thanks
Ashley

--
http://www.patchspace.co.uk/