[darcs-users] Suggestion: remind user of DARCS_EMAIL

Max Battcher me at worldmaker.net
Wed Mar 25 06:36:34 UTC 2009

Dan Pascu wrote:
>> Possible compromise: What about a simple y/n question after the
>> prompt: "Darcs has noticed that you haven't set a global default,
>> would you like to set this as your default? [yN]"
>
> I don't think this is a good idea. That question can quickly become
> annoying and people may choose to answer y just to get rid of it without
> thinking of the consequences of setting that value globally.

I considered that, but I don't think that one extra question in the
interactive record session is a big annoyance. It should only appear
when the email prompt appears and that is a relative rarity for most
repositories: when _darcs/prefs/author, ~/.darcs/author, DARCS_EMAIL and
EMAIL are all empty/unset.  At best it happens only once (I and many
others have one standard email address for just about all projects) and
at worst it happens once per repository (barring manually deleting
_darcs/prefs/author) and should be no more annoying than the email
prompt itself (has anyone complained about it?).

Defaulting enter to no (as I implied in my example text) should help
those that might be annoyed by it (ie, expect every repo to have a
separate email). I don't think that there are major consequences for a
user "accidentally" setting their email globally. (Keep in mind there is
always ``darcs ame -A newemail`` and ``del ~/.darcs/author``.) Let it be
noted here that Mercurial only has a user global setting and entirely
lacks a local/per-repository config for email (instead requiring a
command line option *per-commit*).

Additionally, with my suggestion, should the simple y/n prompt get too
aggravating, you could also come up with some sort of "stop value" to
include in ~/.darcs/author so that it never prompts the "set global"
question (an explicit "no global value" note, if you will).  Probably an
empty file would do.

> I think a better approach would be the one I presented in the email I
> wrote earlier.

You worry about the annoyance of adding one more question to the
interactive email prompt only to suggest adding one more question to the
interactive email prompt _and_ make the entire prompt more common (and
thus more annoying)?

I'm willing to bet that my suggestion better mirrors the workflow of the
average user: Oh, I need an email to attach to patches when I record?
Ok. Oh, I can set it so that darcs doesn't ask me again for this user
account? Great.

--
--Max Battcher--
http://worldmaker.net