[darcs-users] Suggestion: remind user of DARCS_EMAIL

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Wed Mar 25 07:07:04 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 25 March 2009, Max Battcher wrote:
> Dan Pascu wrote:
> >> Possible compromise: What about a simple y/n question after the
> >> prompt: "Darcs has noticed that you haven't set a global default,
> >> would you like to set this as your default? [yN]"
> >
> > I don't think this is a good idea. That question can quickly become
> > annoying and people may choose to answer y just to get rid of it
> > without thinking of the consequences of setting that value globally.
>
> I considered that, but I don't think that one extra question in the
> interactive record session is a big annoyance.

It can be since it's a y/n question (remember the "are you sure" types)
and it's always there unless I answer y. So if I don't want to set the
global identity, it's always there, in addition to the question for the
email.

> > I think a better approach would be the one I presented in the email I
> > wrote earlier.
>
> You worry about the annoyance of adding one more question to the
> interactive email prompt only to suggest adding one more question to
> the interactive email prompt _and_ make the entire prompt more common
> (and thus more annoying)?

I think you misunderstood my proposal. In my proposal there is no
additional question. It's only the question that is already there right
now, but if it finds DARCS_EMAIL or ~/.darcs/author it will use the value
from there as the default. If you keep the default (press enter), nothing
will get saved in _darcs/prefs/author (since you already have it
globally), but if you do change it, it gets set per repository. The only
thing that changes from the current approach, is that if you already have
a global email set, you can answer that initial question by pressing
enter. So there is no additional question.

> I'm willing to bet that my suggestion better mirrors the workflow of
> the average user: Oh, I need an email to attach to patches when I
> record? Ok. Oh, I can set it so that darcs doesn't ask me again for
> this user account? Great.

Again, I exposed in my email the dangers of having the global identity if
you use multiple identities in different projects. My proposal still lets
you set a global identity, but prevents you from forgetting about it and
inadvertently using it in a new project that needs another one.

--
Dan