[darcs-users] Suggestion: remind user of DARCS_EMAIL

Florent Becker florent.becker at ens-lyon.org
Wed Mar 25 09:48:40 UTC 2009

Dan Pascu <dan at ag-projects.com> writes:

>> > Again, I exposed in my email the dangers of having the global
>> > identity if you use multiple identities in different projects. My
>> > proposal still lets you set a global identity, but prevents you from
>> > forgetting about it and inadvertently using it in a new project that
>> > needs another one.
>>
>> My point is that you over-estimate "the dangers".
>
> I don't think I do. Something that is rarely used it's very easy to
> forget. I would hate to find myself 10 patches in a new project just to
> realize that I used the wrong identity and I have to redo that, only
> because I use other identities so rarely and I set a global one that
> stopped darcs from asking everytime a new repo is created.

Maybe we could add a --my-id option to init and get that
would set your id. It's more natural to set the default id at creation of
the repo than at the first record, and it would avoid to have one more
question. Once you get used to using
'darcs init --my-id mysecretid at thisproject.net', the risk of forgetting
becomes low enough, and we don't need to add an extra question.

In that setting, you can also emulate the behaviour you want by having
darcs init --interactive ask you for the email address, and you can add
'init interactive' to your .darcs/prefs file.

Florent