[darcs-users] Suggestion: remind user of DARCS_EMAIL

Grant Husbands darcsusers at grant.x43.net
Wed Mar 25 13:36:21 UTC 2009

KQ <quick at sparq.org> wrote:
> To me, the level of danger here is 9 or more on a scale of 1-10.
>
> The reason is that as soon as I contribute a patch to an open source project
> using my work identity, the lid just popped off Pandora's box.  My personal
> contribution just became a corporate contribution.
[snipped]
> The way darcs currently works, I have a large degree of safety, because I'm
> asked for each repo.  You have a small degree of annoyance because you're asked
> for each repo (which you already have the means to address).  Reversing this is
> wrong, IMHO.

This seems to be getting out of hand. If Darcs gives you the option of
setting a global user file and you accept, and you don't want a global
user file set, then that's simply user error. All you have to do to
avoid it is to not blindly say yes to a prompt that's likely only
going to appear when the repo has no author anyway.

I know of many users who would find the option useful, and I don't
think it's that dangerous.

Regards,
Grant Husbands.