[darcs-users] Replace src/Printer.lhs with an external library?

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Thu Mar 26 08:30:12 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 17:56:01 +1100, Trent W. Buck wrote:
> Does anyone know how Darcs' own src/Printer.lhs relates to
> e.g. Text.PrettyPrint.HughesPJ, and if we can/should replace the former
> with the latter?

+1 on that if possible.  For what it's worth, this is one of the items
on http://wiki.darcs.net/index.html/DarcsLibraries.

But I'll just note that since this is about writing patches to disk and
reading them from disk (which affects other versions of darcs as well),
we should be about as cautious with this as we are with the zlib and the
hashed-storage transitions, i.e. not nearly as paranoid as we would be
with the core, but more careful than we would be with the haskeline or a
libcurl transition.  An in case anybody is wondering, what my criteria
are, there are none.  I am really just groping around by intuition here
and could very well be wrong.

One issue might be how we manage the relationship with ColorPrinter

> I'm also interested in phasing in Pandoc to help unify our user
> documentation (LaTeX manual, manpage and "darcs help").

That might be interesting to do indeed.  Could Pandoc be used for
the eventually to be RST version of the manual as well?

> How does/can this tie in with src/Printer.lhs?

I'm not sure it does.  I thought this module was just about efficient
concatenation of strings, plus a high level representations of document
rendering (e.g. put this block of text directly below this other one,
etc)