[darcs-users] darcs patch: Resolve issue1405: improve discoverability of global a...

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Thu Mar 26 08:37:32 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 18:39:51 +1100, Trent W.Buck wrote:
> New output is:
>
>     Each patch is attributed to its author, usually by email address (for
>     example, `Fred Bloggs <fred at example.net>').  Darcs could not determine
>     your email address, so you will be prompted for it.
>
>     Your address will be stored in _darcs/prefs/author.
>     It will be used for all patches recorded in this repository.
>     If you move that file to ~/.darcs/author, it will be used for patches
>     you record in ALL repositories.

I'll apply this (thanks!) with a request for a tiny bit more work.

Resolve issue1405: improve discoverability of global author file.
> Trent W. Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com>**20090326071908
>  Ignore-this: 5f53bfc8020f6bf34e33362effcf4a10
> ] hunk ./src/Darcs/Arguments.lhs 807
>      Nothing -> do
>        aminrepo <- doesDirectoryExist (darcsdir++"/prefs")
>        if aminrepo then do
> -          putStr "Darcs needs to know what name (conventionally an email "
> -          putStr "address) to use as the\npatch author, e.g. 'Fred Bloggs "
> -          putStr "<fred at bloggs.invalid>'.  If you provide one\nnow "
> -          putStr ("it will be stored in the file '"++darcsdir++"/prefs/author' and ")
> -          putStr "used as a default\nin the future.  To change your preferred "
> -          putStr "author address, simply delete or edit\nthis file.\n\n"
> +          putDocLn $

Thanks for the IO/pure separation, by the way.  I guess it doesn't make
much of a difference here, but it's nice to be tidy when we can.

> +            text "If you move that file to ~/.darcs/author, it will be used for patches" $$

Grant pointed out that we should on Windows, we would have a different
path.  I think darcs has some code that will lets us determine this
path.  Could you look into it?  If not, perhaps Simon Michael?