[darcs-users] Replace src/Printer.lhs with an external library?

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 11:40:03 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 08:30:12AM +0000, Eric Kow wrote:
> > I'm also interested in phasing in Pandoc to help unify our user
> > documentation (LaTeX manual, manpage and "darcs help").
>
> That might be interesting to do indeed.  Could Pandoc be used for
> the eventually to be RST version of the manual as well?

Yes, the plan for some time has been to turn everything into either
rest/markdown strings or raw pandoc objects inside the code, and then
use the appropriate renderer to generate plain text / roff / tex.

However I have mostly been working on rewriting, rather than
reformatting, the documentation.  So right now we're getting
documentation that can be understood, rather than documentation that's
easy to compile and uses a pretty font.

>> How does/can this tie in with src/Printer.lhs?
>
> I'm not sure it does.  I thought this module was just about efficient
> concatenation of strings, plus a high level representations of document
> rendering (e.g. put this block of text directly below this other one,
> etc)

Ah, perhaps I misunderstood.  I thought Printer was also capable of
e.g. rewrapping text so that it fit the terminal width, because it had
basic markup (where text :: String -> Doc was a paragraph object).