[darcs-users] darcs patch: Resolve issue1402: don't "phone home" about bugs.

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 12:42:18 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 09:03:01AM +0000, Eric Kow wrote:
> I'm slightly nervous about linking to the wiki (seems so impermanent),
> but I don't really see a better way.

The logic behind it is straightforward:

1.  People are going to be using a release for YEARS after it comes
    out.  Therefore putting detailed bug reporting information in the
    tarball itself means that it will be out of date when people go to
    actually use it.

    Unlike the maintenance page, we're handing users a URL instead of
    trying to fetch it for them.  THAT is the most important part of
    this change.

2.  Crap as it is, at least that page already exists.

3.  People can edit it more-or-less easily; it's not locked down to te
    handful of people with shell access to darcs.net (as is the case
    for the maintenance page).

4.  If we really need to, we can "lock" that page (I presume) to avoid
    it being defaced.