[darcs-users] Replace src/Printer.lhs with an external library?

Reinier Lamers tux_rocker at reinier.de
Fri Mar 27 10:34:57 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Friday 27 March 2009 01:03:05 Trent W. Buck wrote:
> Ian Lynagh <igloo at earth.li> writes:
> > * Text.PrettyPrint doesn't give you a way to print any sort of packed
> >   string type without unpacking it. This is waiting on there being a
> >   suitable unicode packed string type for it to use.
>
> How serious an issue is this?  I guess most of the strings that this
> module prints are quite short, so wouldn't the unpacking cost be
> negligible?

The Printer module is also used sometimes to print patch contents, at least
for sending by email, and maybe also for writing to disk. In that case,
unpacking could cost *lots* of space. Also, we'd run into encoding issues
because a Haskell Char is a Unicode code point while the patch contents are
just bytes.

Regards,
Reinier