[darcs-users] darcs patch: Simplify move of a new directory, as it's made to files.

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Fri Mar 27 22:41:13 UTC 2009

Hi Dmitry,

Would you mind giving this some thought?

Marco: Very nice to see somebody working on some inner stuff.  We may
take a while to accept this one since it's a little bit deep down.
I think it should be fine, especially since we already do something like
this for file adds and removes, but better safe than sorry!

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 19:45:53 -0300, Marco Túlio Gontijo e Silva wrote:
> Fri Mar 27 19:31:03 BRT 2009  Marco T??lio Gontijo e Silva <marcot at holoscopio.com>
>   * Simplify move of a new directory, as it's made to files.

I think this *should* be fine (coalescing, as far as I
understand/remember is mostly a UI convenience, though I think recall it
being also used for the pending patch, so we should be careful).
Anybody have ideas on how we can make sure this is a safe change to
make?

Marco: have you tried running the unit tests?  Reinier has added some
explanation here:
  http://wiki.darcs.net/index.html/UnitTests

Also, you may want to add a separate patch updating your entry in the
.authorspellings file

Thanks!

Simplify move of a new directory, as it's made to files.
> Marco T??lio Gontijo e Silva <marcot at holoscopio.com>**20090327223103
>  Ignore-this: 9d989942015671fa37b4019175fa2549
> ] hunk ./src/Darcs/Patch/Prim.lhs 901
>  coalesce (p :< Split NilFL) = Just p
>  coalesce (Move a b :< Move b' a') | a == a' = Just $ Move b' b
>  coalesce (Move a b :< FP f AddFile) | f == a = Just $ FP b AddFile
> +coalesce (Move a b :< DP f AddDir) | f == a = Just $ DP b AddDir
>  coalesce (FP f RmFile :< Move a b) | b == f = Just $ FP a RmFile
> hunk ./src/Darcs/Patch/Prim.lhs 903
> +coalesce (DP f RmDir :< Move a b) | b == f = Just $ DP a RmDir
>  coalesce (ChangePref p f1 t1 :< ChangePref p2 f2 t2) | p == p2 && t2 == f1 = Just $ ChangePref p f2 t1
>  coalesce _ = Nothing

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9