[darcs-users] cabal clean --error--> dist/setup/ not empty on NFSv3

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 03:36:59 UTC 2009

This is starting to annoy me.  The crux of the problem is appears to be
a race condition between cabal and NFS:

    $ cabal clean
    cleaning...
    Error while removing dist/: dist/setup: removeDirectory: unsatisified constraints (Directory not empty)
    $ ls -a dist/setup
    .  ..

Here are full transcripts, where /tmp is local and /home is NFSv3:

    $ with-temp-dir sh -c 'darcs get --quiet http://darcs.net && cd * && cabal clean'
    with-temp-dir: entering directory `/tmp/with-temp-dir.ojCkNw'
    [1 of 2] Compiling Distribution.ShellHarness ( Distribution/ShellHarness.hs, dist/setup/Distribution/ShellHarness.o )
    [2 of 2] Compiling Main             ( Setup.lhs, dist/setup/Main.o )
    Linking ./dist/setup/setup ...
    cleaning...
    with-temp-dir: leaving directory `/tmp/with-temp-dir.ojCkNw'
    $ TMPDIR=/home/twb/Desktop with-temp-dir sh -c 'darcs get --quiet http://darcs.net && cd * && cabal clean'
    with-temp-dir: entering directory `/home/twb/Desktop/with-temp-dir.nJpgKs'
    [1 of 2] Compiling Distribution.ShellHarness ( Distribution/ShellHarness.hs, dist/setup/Distribution/ShellHarness.o )
    [2 of 2] Compiling Main             ( Setup.lhs, dist/setup/Main.o )
    Linking ./dist/setup/setup ...
    cleaning...
    Error while removing dist/: dist/setup: removeDirectory: unsatisified constraints (Directory not empty)
    with-temp-dir: leaving directory `/home/twb/Desktop/with-temp-dir.nJpgKs'
    $

When I started writing this post I didn't realize it was only broken on
NFS.  I guess I'll just forward it on to Duncan and the rest of the
Cabal team.