[darcs-users] darcs patch: Update e-mail address for Marco Túlio Gontijo e Silva.

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Sat Mar 28 11:58:36 UTC 2009

Hi Marco,

This one will (amazingly enough) require a tiny bit of discussion.

We currently have a patch from Daniel Buenzli with an ISO-8859-1 encoded
character in its metadata.  Marco's patch has a UTF-8 character.  Darcs
is completely encoding-ignorant and sees these all as bytes.  Policy
question:

 - do we mandate ISO-8859-1 characters in metadata only (yuck)
 - do we mandate ASCII only characters from now on?
   [the dont-tempt-fate path]
 - do we mandate UTF-8 characters only from now on and accept this
   as motivational dogfood for us to come up with a solution for the
   metadata encodings problem? http://bugs.darcs.net/issue64
   [the choke-on-dogfood path]
 - do we do something else?

I'm actually leaning towards the choke-on-dogfood path myself...

Anyway, I suspect Petr will just have to make a decision on this
sometime next week.  It's not that big a deal, but whatever we do
decide, we should probably document in
  http://wiki.darcs.net/index.html/DeveloperGettingStarted

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 08:52:17 -0300, Marco Túlio Gontijo e Silva wrote:
> Sat Mar 28 08:37:11 BRT 2009  Marco T??lio Gontijo e Silva <marcot at holoscopio.com>
>   * Update e-mail address for Marco T??lio Gontijo e Silva.
>   This patch includes an UTF-8 character in .authorspellings.

On an unrelated note, if we accept this patch, we should UTF-8-ise
Daniel's name in the authorspellings.