[darcs-users] darcs vs sendmail

Peter Hercek phercek at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 18:22:43 UTC 2009

Peter Hercek wrote:
> Eric Kow wrote:
>> Thanks!  Could you try out this dummy test?
>>
>>  darcs get http://code.haskell.org/~kowey/test-for-darcs-send
>>  cd test-for-darcs-send
>>  chmod u+x go.sh
>>  ./go.sh
>>
>> (presumably, sending the patch to yourself?)
>
> I did sent the patch to my email and it did work well this time. I got
> the patch. Maybe it was just unreliable email. My user name is peter.
> /var/mail/peter does not exist. /var/mail/root does not contain any
> messages.

Ok it was not unreliable email (the original darcs patch as sent by
darcs). I did not notice it earlier but 2 days after I sent this email
(6 days after the original patch mail was sent), I got a bounce from
darcs-users at darcs.net:

<darcs-users at darcs.net>: host smtp.osuosl.org[140.211.166.137] said: 450
4.1.8
    <peter at metod.hck.sk>: Sender address rejected: Domain not found (in
reply
    to RCPT TO command)

So the problems with sendmail people reported are probably because they
do not have it configured. So, by default, their machine name (in may
case metod.hck.sk) is used in HELLO command but the machine names do not
exist in the public DNS zone (only in the private one), and they
definitely do not have associated an MX record with it (if it is checked
too). And your server (smtp.osuosl.org) checks that a DNS record for the
sender exists as an anti-spam measure :-D

The test I did (sending email to myself) worked since I sent it to my
account on a server which does not do such a anti-spam check or to a
local mail server we have here. I do not remember where I sent it
(probably to my gmail account).

So now you have a good idea what may be the common reason for darcs send
not working: your own anti-spam measures on darcs.net ... that is if you
want un-configured sendmail to work (which may be an unreasonable
requirement).

Peter.