[darcs-users] [darcs-devel] buildbot failure in darcs on thorkil tn9 Linux-2.6.13-15 SUSE-10.0?i686

Petr Rockai me at mornfall.net
Sun Mar 29 08:40:44 UTC 2009

Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> writes:

>> >     Couldn't match expected type `network-2.1.0.0:Network.URI.URI'
>> >            against inferred type `URI'
>
> So this is the darcs module called HTTP.  If I understand correctly,
> what's going on here is that the HTTP package (which darcs uses) was
> built against the network 2.1 package, whereas the darcs package
> (for which the HTTP module in question is being built) explicitly
> requests network 2.2.
>
> Any idea how that came to pass?  The HTTP package does not seem to care
> which version of network it uses.  One solution might be to somehow ask
> Cabal to rebuild the HTTP package against network 2.2.  Another solution
> is to slightly relax the darcs requirement for the network package.
> Thorkil, could you see if the latter lets you build darcs?  If so,
> perhaps a patch would be appropriate.
This should do the trick: cabal install HTTP --reinstall

This is yet another instance of the common diamond dependency problem, where
two different versions of a package get pulled into a single build. The
solution is to wait till Cabal solves this properly, and reinstall offending
packages in the meantime (any package that is build against an out-of-date
package is a possible trigger of this problem).

Yours,
   Petr.