[darcs-users] darcs interactive use from non-terminals

Judah Jacobson judah.jacobson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 20:31:44 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 1:11 PM, Ben Moseley <ben_moseley at mac.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One thing which I find somewhat of an annoyance is that I've discovered no
> way to use darcs in interactive mode from within something which isn't a
> real (pseudo)terminal (eg from within M-x shell / M-x eshell etc in emacs).
>
> I think the problem boils down to the fact that the darcs code (which I
> haven't yet examined properly) is expecting to be able to detect single
> keypresses (ie raw terminal input) rather than line-based input.
>
> I mentioned to Eric that I might take a look at this, and he thought it'd be
> best to check whether other people have any opinions about this. (I hadn't
> really come up with any concrete plans, but was maybe thinking about a
> standard darcs option which would allow darcs to accept responses as
> individual lines of input ... actually some kind of auto-detection based on
> terminal capabilities might be preferable - but might be more fragile...).

I think Haskeline+darcs already takes care of this (at least, it
should with the darcs HEAD and haskeline>=0.6.1.).  It only provides
the fancy user interaction if the "terminal" stdin has echo=on (which
is false in the emacs shell).

If you find that it doesn't work, please let me know since I added
that check specifically to fix emacs :-)

-Judah