[darcs-users] darcs interactive use from non-terminals

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 23:48:38 UTC 2009

Judah Jacobson <judah.jacobson at gmail.com> writes:
> I think Haskeline+darcs already takes care of this (at least, it
> should with the darcs HEAD and haskeline>=0.6.1.).  It only provides
> the fancy user interaction if the "terminal" stdin has echo=on (which
> is false in the emacs shell).

Checking if input should be printed sounds like a very inaccurate way to
detect when you're dealing with a line-oriented terminal emulator.
Surely there's a more appropriate terminfo property?

Failing that, would it be more robust to simply parse and discard a ^J
character seen after a prompt?  That was my impression of how Darcs
worked before Haskeline (though I never examined the code).