[darcs-users] darcs patch: Replace single-use option with an argument (darcs help...

Trent W.Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Fri May 1 10:38:42 UTC 2009

This is a baby step while I was looking at issue1455, which in turn is
part of the grand plan for a unified source for the content in "darcs
help", the manpage and the user manual.

This replaces the "darcs help --match" option with "darcs help
patterns", because --match isn't really being used as an option -- if
it's present, the behaviour of darcs help is completely different (it
ignores all arguments, for a start).  And throwing away an option is
generally good, because (as you can see) it shrinks the code a little
bit in several icky "huge list of all options" places.

One downside of this approach (already started with "darcs help
manpage") is that the X in "darcs help X" is fought over between
general help topics, and Darcs commands.  If this worries people, we
could relegate all the non-command help to an "on" subtree.  That way
we are safe as long as we never introduce a command "darcs on":

    cmd_help _ ["on",topic] = ...  -- manpage, patterns, environment &c
    cmd_help _ (cmd:args) = ...    -- get, pull, push &c

Fri May  1 18:41:59 EST 2009  Trent W. Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com>
  * Replace single-use option with an argument (darcs help patterns).