[darcs-users] darcs patch: Resolve issue1173: support hard links on NTFS.

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Fri May 1 11:21:42 UTC 2009

Hi Dmitry,

Do you think you could have a look at this?

You (and Salvatore) may want to pay attention to this thread:
  http://lists.osuosl.org/pipermail/darcs-devel/2006-December/005162.html

But since Salvatore didn't modify maybe_relink.c, we should be safe :-)

On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 12:51:49 +0200, Salvatore Insalaco wrote:
> There are some limitations:
>   - I didn't modify maybe_relink.c, so it doesn't work in darcs
> optimize --relink.
>   - It breaks compatibility on Windows versions before Windows 2000.
>   - It works only on NTFS, but fails gracefully (it reverts to old
> behaviour of copying files).

Hooray!

If this works, it means Windows users get to benefit from the shared
patch cache.  Then again, it also means they will run into the
timestamps issue.  I assume we think the tradeoff is still worth it.

> Is support for Windows 9x/ME/NT4/NT3.x important to somebody on
> darcs-users?

Nobody complained the last time I asked in 2006-12:
  http://lists.osuosl.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2006-December/010740.html

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9