[darcs-users] best practice for tracking a vendor branch with darcs?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon May 4 17:27:23 UTC 2009

Mark Stosberg writes:

 > What is the the best practice for managing such a situation with
 > darcs, so that my local patches easy to maintain?

What Victor said.  And some random thoughts:

Personally, I had trouble with inadvertantly editing files in the
vendor branch.  I don't think Darcs supports tree-less (not just
no-pristine, no working tree, either) branches, but if it does that
would help with this problem.

My solution was a script that chmod'd the vendor tree to 0640, cvs
updated, and then chmod'd it to 0440.  That made it difficult to edit.
:-)

Is your vendor using darcs?  If not, you may want to use something
like tailor to keep your vendor branch in sync.

I was working with CVS, and at first I tried to keep the CVS metadata
in Darcs (darcs doesn't care, and I figured that would allow very
precise version tracking, otherwise impossible in CVS), but that
didn't work at all well because I wanted those files gone in the
working branch (some patches I would send back upstream, and having
dependencies on specific CVS versions didn't work out well).  So
almost certainly you want to ignore foreign version control metadata.