[darcs-users] best practice for tracking a vendor branch with darcs?

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Mon May 4 17:26:45 UTC 2009

On Mon, 4 May 2009 17:20:56 +0200
Vincent Zweije <vzweije at zweije.nl.eu.org> wrote:

> On Mon, May 04, 2009 at 11:08:47AM -0400, Mark Stosberg wrote:
>
> ||  I want to use darcs to manage a Drupal project, which has frequent security
> ||  updates.
> ||  My install will have local patches which are not applied upstream. If I just
> ||  overlay each new upstream release on my tree, it will revert my local patches.
> ||  What is the the best practice for managing such a situation with darcs, so that
> ||  my local patches easy to maintain?
>
> Your vendor branch should mirror the upstream state, precisely so that
> you can overlay upstream releases.
>
> Apply your patches to a local branch, and pull upstream fixes to it via
> your vendor branch.
>
> Take care when resolving conflicts when pulling or await the dreaded
> exponential merge. Amend your local patches instead if you can.

Thanks. I had tried something like that before, but your suggestion to
use "amend" in my local branch is a new twist that I will consider.

Thanks to you and Stephen for your suggestions!

    Mark

   Mark Stosberg            Principal Developer
   mark at summersault.com     Summersault, LLC
   765-939-9301 ext 202     database driven websites
 . . . . . http://www.summersault.com/ . . . . . . . .