[darcs-users] FreeBSD fix: Fatal error 'Exceeded maximum lock level'

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Thu May 7 21:18:36 UTC 2009

Someone else using darcs on FreeBSD asked about this on IRC. I happened to
find an answer and thought I would post it here.

Here's the symptom:

####
# darcs --version
2.2.0 (release)
Fatal error 'Exceeded maximum lock level' at line 611 in file /usr/src/lib/libpthread/thread/thr_kern.c (errno = 0)
Abort trap: 6 (core dumped)

####

I think this started happening after a cPanel upgrade, perhaps due to an install
or upgrade of a "libpthread-stubs" library.

Here's a fix:

Create or edit /etc/libmap.conf,
and add these lines to it:

[darcs]
libpthread.so.1 libthr.so.1
libpthread.so.2 libthr.so.2
libkse.so.3 libthr.so.3

( At least, that's right on FreeBSD 6.2 ).

darcs immediately stops segfaulting.  The [darcs] block limits the
scope of the change to executing darcs. You can remove the block
to make the change be system-wide, but I can't see what else
might be affected for better or worse if you do.

    Mark

   Mark Stosberg            Principal Developer
   mark at summersault.com     Summersault, LLC
   765-939-9301 ext 202     database driven websites
 . . . . . http://www.summersault.com/ . . . . . . . .