[darcs-users] darcs patch: Resolve issue1173: support hard links on NTFS.

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Sun May 10 02:11:49 UTC 2009

Hi Salvatore,

On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 12:51:49 +0200, Salvatore Insalaco wrote:
> There are some limitations:
>   - I didn't modify maybe_relink.c, so it doesn't work in darcs
> optimize --relink.
>   - It breaks compatibility on Windows versions before Windows 2000.
>   - It works only on NTFS, but fails gracefully (it reverts to old
> behaviour of copying files).

I'm definitely looking forward to applying this patch, but did you
forget to attach it, by chance?

Dmitry: would be available to look at it and review any implications
of this?  I'm pretty sure it's safe if it's not modifying
maybe_relink.c and is only letting us hard link in places where we
already know for sure we want one, but better safe than sorry.
http://lists.osuosl.org/pipermail/darcs-devel/2006-December/005162.html

Salvatore, also, any chance we could see some numbers from the
Standard Darcs Benchmarks (expanding said benchmarks as needed)?
http://wiki.darcs.net/index.html/StandardDarcsBenchmarks

Many thanks!

> Now, I really think our Windows-supporting time is better spent on
> fixing issues than to preserve compatibility with operating systems
> from almost 10 years ago :).

:-) As I mentioned in my previous reply, the community seemed to
(silently) assent to this the last time the question came up

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9