[darcs-users] darcs patch: Resolve issue1173: support hard links on NTFS.

Salvatore Insalaco kirby81 at gmail.com
Wed May 13 09:42:47 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 10:13 AM, Trent W. Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com> wrote:
> My understanding is that hard links on NTFS are only supported in Vista
> (and later, I guess).  So I believe the situation is this:
>
>  - Darcs is now broken on Windows 9x and NT4;
>  - Darcs works, without hard links, on Windows 2000, XP and 2003.
>  - Darcs works, without hard links, on Windows 2000 and later on
>    non-NTFS filesystems (particularly FAT).

Hard links are supported since NT 5.0 (Windows 2000).

So the situation is:
- Darcs is now broken on Windows 9x and NT4 (maybe it already was, GHC
is only supported on Windows 2000 and later).
- Darcs works, without hard links, on Windows 2000 and later on
non-NTFS filesystems (particularly FAT).
- Darcs works, with hard links, on Windows 2000 and later on NTFS filesystems.

Vista now supports symbolics links, but hard links were already supported.

Salvatore