[darcs-users] trailing whitespace

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Wed May 13 15:20:53 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 6:37 PM, Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> wrote:

> I'm certainly happy to have your feedback and better yet, your criticism
> on darcs.
>
> On Sat, May 09, 2009 at 22:26:09 -0700, Jason Dagit wrote:
> > One thing that I've always found to be a misfeature of darcs, is that it
> > displays trailing white space.
>
> Whether or not we believe that one should be comment on trailing
> whitespace during patch review, I think this is a useful feature to have
> because it avoids mystery hunks, things that give the user the
> impression of spurious changes in the output.  In other words, as a
> user, I personally would find this block a bit surprising:

I guess that's sort of where darcs is doing something that other vcs farm
off to diff viewers.  From experience where we use svn at work, we use a
separate program to view diffs that allows you to see whitespace and also to
ignore differences that vary only by whitespace.

> What happens is that I notice the red dollar sign as I apply the
> patch, so I mention it.

Okay.  I'll exert more self-control in expressing my opinion on the matter
in the future :)

Thanks,
Jason