[darcs-users] Darcs for GHC [was: darcs weekly news #28]

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Thu May 14 00:51:32 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 22:20:03 +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:
> I want to try out hashed again.  Last time I tried it, there were
> performance problems, but it turned out that hashed repos were using a
> global cache by default, and my home dir is NFS-mounted.

I am beginning to wonder if the NFS-mounting was a red herring or if it
really was just a matter of timestamps being invalidated.  Petr's Summer
of Code project has some really promising improvements to hashed repos
in store: no more timestamp invalidation problems, and smarter
organisation of the cache.  Think you could stick around for that work
to enter darcs?  I'm thinking the earliest realistic date we can have is
2010-01 (darcs 2.4), but Petr is a bit more optimistic :-)

> There was a
> problem with turning off the global cache IIRC - has that been fixed
> now?  I'd really like to either disable the cache, or point it to
> somewhere locally mounted.

Actually, there is a --no-cache flag that was added 2008-09 by Dmitry

> Does the cache still put all its files in one directory?  That was one
> source of the performance problems, I think.

Yes, but if I understand correctly, Petr's GSOC project should rectify
that.

I defer to Petr here for his expertise, naturally...

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9