[darcs-users] darcs transplant [was: darcs weekly news #28]

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri May 15 05:27:30 UTC 2009

Simon Michael writes:

 > Nit pick: shouldn't this just be called darcs rebase ?

No.  If you want, you could call Darcs itself "rebase", because
commuting patches is fundamentally what rebase is about.  David would
probably have to sue you for defamation, though. :-)

Transplant is IMHO a bad name, partly because Darcs fundamentally
doesn't think in terms of a history DAG, so "moving (some part of) a
branch" doesn't really make sense.[1]  There's also the problem that
Mercurial's use of the term does conflate rebase and cherrypicking.

I think "cherry-pick" is really closest to the flavor of what's
proposed here.  The main problem I can see is that in other VCSes, a
cherry-pick nearly completely destroys the ability to detect that a
patch has been previously applied.  That connotation would not be true
in Darcs.

Footnotes:
[1]  It's a *set* of related patches, not a *sequence* of commits as
understood in other VCSes.