[darcs-users] darcs patch: Make index.html XHTML 1.0 Strict (was HT... (and 5 more)

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Sat May 16 07:31:52 UTC 2009

A do-over of the one-big-patch I made some time ago.  I've tried to
put the most contentious changes last, so that they won't kibosh the
others due to dependency issues.

I also refrained from rewriting the introductory text at all, since
that was the area that seemed to be bike-shedded most.

Oh, and I checked it against a graphical browser this time (webkit),
and tried harder to preserve the visual layout there.

Sat May 16 15:13:06 EST 2009  Trent W. Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com>
  * Make index.html XHTML 1.0 Strict (was HTML 4).
  This is the bare minimum necessary to make it pass.

Sat May 16 15:13:26 EST 2009  Trent W. Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com>
  * Capitalize Darcs' name.

Sat May 16 15:22:56 EST 2009  Trent W. Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com>
  * Don't abuse <table> as presentational markup (use CSS instead).
  This should improve the rendering on tty, print and handheld media,
  without (hopefully) changing much on conventional screens.

Sat May 16 17:13:14 EST 2009  Trent W. Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com>
  * Point out up-front how dated LWN's recommendation is.
  Someone should find a Darcs 2 era quote to replace this one.

Sat May 16 17:20:07 EST 2009  Trent W. Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com>
  * Rewrite "see also" sections of home page.
  Particularly, separate links "for users" from those "for developers".

Sat May 16 17:30:22 EST 2009  Trent W. Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com>
  * Demote one-paragraph sections into a definition list.
  Increases vertical density of the introductory text, which hopefully
  increases the visibility of the links at the bottom of the page.