[darcs-users] darcs patch: Make index.html XHTML 1.0 Strict

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Sat May 16 11:30:32 UTC 2009

Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> writes:

> On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 00:31:52 -0700, Trent W. Buck wrote:
>> A do-over of the one-big-patch I made some time ago.  I've tried to
>> put the most contentious changes last, so that they won't kibosh the
>> others due to dependency issues.
>>
>> I also refrained from rewriting the introductory text at all, since
>> that was the area that seemed to be bike-shedded most.
>>
>> Oh, and I checked it against a graphical browser this time (webkit),
>> and tried harder to preserve the visual layout there.
>
> Good thinking.

I dropped a copy at http://code.haskell.org/~twb/tmp/{before,after}.html
if people with other engines want to compare them.

>> Sat May 16 15:13:26 EST 2009  Trent W. Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com>
>>   * Capitalize Darcs' name.
>
> Applied!  Somebody should update the Wikipedia entry.
>
> I'm a bit attached to the old way, but my job here is to just go
> with the flow here.

Wikipedia says that the convention is not to capitalize Darcs, but it
doesn't give a rationale.  That's why I've quietly ignored it and
adopted the English language convention :-)

>> Sat May 16 15:22:56 EST 2009  Trent W. Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com>
>>   * Don't abuse <table> as presentational markup (use CSS instead).
>>   This should improve the rendering on tty, print and handheld media,
>>   without (hopefully) changing much on conventional screens.
>
> I think this is good in principle, but I'm leaving this to Mark +
> marketing.

I think this is really a question of "does this look abysmal on anyone's
browser?"  If it makes my browsers look better at the expense of a
market share browser rendering it incorrectly, then I'll have to put up
with the table-based kludge that's currently there.