[darcs-users] Darcs for GHC

Petr Rockai me at mornfall.net
Sun May 17 08:15:26 UTC 2009

Hi,

"Trent W. Buck" <trentbuck at gmail.com> writes:
>> The command was going to be called "transplant", if I recall
>> correctly.
>
> Discussion of transplant is in http://bugs.darcs.net/issue938.
If I may interject, "transplant" is a very stupid name, IMHO. Not that I have
any better name, but that's probably also because no-one really seems to know
what should it do.

To replay patches as-comes, depending on the user to ensure the pristine states
match, I would use "coerce". This is the "manual repair" case. For super-amend,
I'd just say "amend" or maybe "amend-branch", or "amend --with-deps" or such.

I argue that "amend-branch" and "mechanism to help with long lived branches" is
really the same thing. The problem with long lived branches is the conflict
resolutions that accumulate and mess up things, and amending the history to
remove the conflicts is what is needed, and is hard to do because of
dependencies. The non-conflicted case is handled transparently by darcs even
without any kind of special command.

(And for amend-branch UI, I'd just say that it should ask about the patches
that push would ask about... Maybe a --conflicts switch to make it only ask
about conflicted patches?)

Yours,
   Petr.