[darcs-users] Darcs for GHC

Tommy Pettersson ptp at lysator.liu.se
Mon May 18 12:25:18 UTC 2009

On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 10:15:26AM +0200, Petr Rockai wrote:
> I argue that "amend-branch" and "mechanism to help with long lived branches" is
> really the same thing. The problem with long lived branches is the conflict
> resolutions that accumulate and mess up things, and amending the history to
> remove the conflicts is what is needed, and is hard to do because of
> dependencies. The non-conflicted case is handled transparently by darcs even
> without any kind of special command.

I'm in favor of amend-record on steroids, but just want to point
out (maybe the obvious) that it is not a general solution for
the long-lived branch problem. It works if the "branch" is a
single repo, but it doesn't scale with the dynamic behavior of
darcs, i.e., a group of people working on separate copies of a
"branch".