[darcs-users] [soc] project summary & first progress report

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Mon May 25 03:11:04 UTC 2009

Petr Rockai <me at mornfall.net> writes:

> I have started my summer of code project for darcs a few days back. I
> have posted both project summary and first progress report on my blog:
>
>  * http://web.mornfall.net/blog/summer_of_code.html
>  * http://web.mornfall.net/stuff/soc_progress_1.html

Here I think you claim a tenfold speedup on whatsnew.  I'm actually
seeing a SIXTY-fold speedup, when comparing darcs-hs to Darcs 2.2.0 on
the darcs-hashedstorage repo, with no changes:

    $ time for i in `seq 100`; do dist/build/darcs/darcs w >/dev/null; done

    real      user       sys
    0m3.334s  0m1.070s   0m1.080s
    $ time for i in `seq 100`; do darcs w >/dev/null; done

    real      user       sys
    3m3.470s  0m58.460s  0m44.140s

Note that hard linking is working for me, which I believe means that the
latter case is affected by the bad-timestamps issue you mention.  Oh,
and I'm using NFS.