[darcs-users] Issues with Windows 7

John Horigan john at glyphic.com
Mon May 25 15:53:42 UTC 2009

I have succeeded in running darcs on Windows 7 by running it in
Windows XP compatibility mode, which runs darcs in a virtual machine.
I did not need to turn on administrator privileges. There is one
caveat: if you run darcs in compatibility mode then Windows 7 will
open a new console window for darcs and this window will close when
darcs exits. There is no way in Windows to keep a console open after
its program has exited. This is a long-standing source of pain for
Windows developers.

I thought that I could fix this by adding a posthook command. The
window would stay open while darcs asks me whether to run the command.
But for some reason the --posthook=<command> option does not work on
Windows. So I have to keep my eyes glued to the screen to see the
darcs output in the split second before the window closes.

Now that I got 'darcs get' to work I found another odd issue under
Windows 7. Darcs retrieved the repository from the internet site, but
I was unable to access the directory. I checked out the directory
under Windows Explorer (graphical file manager). The directory had no
permissions at all, nobody had access rights. I had to manually add
access rights for the System and for myself. I don't know if this is a
result of running darcs in WinXP compatibility mode or if the ghc
runtime has compatibility issues with Windows 7.

-- john