[darcs-users] zlib CRCs: another update

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Mon May 25 18:40:24 UTC 2009

On Mon, 25 May 2009, Thorkil Naur wrote:

> I think it is really great that you are doing this.

Thanks!

>> gzReadFile in ByteStringUtils detects broken CRCs, and writes to a global
>> variable to indicate this (adding one more to Darcs.Globals :-( )
>>
>> Unless Quiet is in the options, Darcs.RunCommand installs an atexit
>> handler to inspect the global and print out a short message if
>> appropriate. Something along the lines of "Warning: CRC errors found.
>> These are probably harmless but should be repaired. Run darcs
>> <something> for more details."
>
> I would find it very useful to report some details about where the problem (or
> problems) is/are located, not least to enable a decision on where (local,
> remote, cache that you mention below) to apply the repair.

I'd rather defer that to the comprehensive check command, because
otherwise either there is a lot of output (one line per file) or I have to
figure out summary information for each file and then aggregate that. At
the point I discover the problem in gzReadFile, I just know the filename.
The test repo I'm looking at has 10-20 corrupted patches.

Cheers,

Ganesh