[darcs-users] [soc] project summary & first progress report

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Mon May 25 22:33:39 UTC 2009

On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 19:20:33 +0200, Petr Rockai wrote:
> I'm not sure which is the right format (or whether it's appropriate at all) to
> post on darcs-users at . I write the blog in markdown, so it wouldn't be problem
> to quote full text in e-mail. Please let me know what is preferred (Eric?).

I think a weekly report on darcs-users is a good idea.

As for formats, go for convenience.  If you foresee copy and pasting
large chunks of your weekly reports into the darcsit wiki or DWN, I
would recommend using RST just to avoid having to convert.

> Anyway, I have branched darcs for my project. Eric, would you mind
> cherry-picking suitable patches from my branch and pulling them into
> the mainline?

I would like us to keep up the habit of reviewing patches before they go
into darcs mainline.  Needless to say, I also want to make sure that the
workflow doesn't get in your way too much (for example, we'll probably
have to forgo amending patches in the case of your GSoC work).

How does doing a darcs send every half week sound?  Do you want to give
that a try for a couple of weeks and report back if you find it
unworkable?  Having you do this gives you better control over what goes
into what bundle, which could be easier on reviewers.  Meanwhile, my job
is to recruit more reviewers for your darcs-hs code!

I would also like for the hashed-storage code to be reviewed if we're
going to use this for darcs, at least until it becomes a mature
standalone project that we can interact with in more spread out
intervals.  It doesn't necessarily have to be on a patch by patch basis,
or have to involve things being sent to darcs-users, but we should work
out a way to get this done.

There may be a bit of head scratching in the beginning as we try to work
this out, but we'll get there!

Thanks,

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9