[darcs-users] Sugestion for feature: patch sets

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Wed May 27 01:51:13 UTC 2009

Reinier Lamers <tux_rocker at reinier.de> writes:

> On Tuesday 26 May 2009 20:30:39 Eric Kow wrote:
>> On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 10:29:20 -0300, Maurício wrote:
>> > I would like if we could name sets of patches in a repository , and we
>> > could choose to work only on one of the sets (and its dependencies, of
>> > course). One problem we often have with darcs is conflicts. Such
>> > feature would allow us to delay merges to when we have time to work on
>> > them. By merge, I say just joining two sets into one. We could also
>> > push or pull patches to no set at all, so they would just be there
>> > until we decide to include then in a set.
>>
>> Perhaps the darcs pull --union, --intersect and --complement features
>> could do what you're looking for.
>
> As I interpreted the message, he's talking about branches in one repo
> (with possibly a relation to something like 'git stash').

That's what it sounds like to me, too.  Last time this was discussed, I
believe there were two outcomes:

  - Endo-repo branching inevitably makes the UI more complicated.
    Is it worth it?

  - Exo- and endo-repo branching are equally powerful, though the latter
    might (or might not) be more convenient.  Therefore, people are more
    interested in working on other areas of Darcs which are seen to be
    more urgent (speed and correctness).