[darcs-users] [soc] project summary & first progress report

Petr Rockai me at mornfall.net
Wed May 27 10:26:54 UTC 2009

Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> writes:
>> Anyway, I have branched darcs for my project. Eric, would you mind
>> cherry-picking suitable patches from my branch and pulling them into
>> the mainline?

> I would like us to keep up the habit of reviewing patches before they go
> into darcs mainline.  Needless to say, I also want to make sure that the
> workflow doesn't get in your way too much (for example, we'll probably
> have to forgo amending patches in the case of your GSoC work).
Likely (not amending), since I expect the review to be lagging days or weeks
behind the current tip of the branch. Btw., I also expect buggy code to be
recorded and fixed up in later patches. This may pose new difficulties for
review, since it may require the reviewers to take more of the stack into
account (than just a single patch). I'll of course try to not write any buggy
code ; - ).

> How does doing a darcs send every half week sound?  Do you want to give
> that a try for a couple of weeks and report back if you find it
> unworkable?  Having you do this gives you better control over what goes
> into what bundle, which could be easier on reviewers.  Meanwhile, my job
> is to recruit more reviewers for your darcs-hs code!
Well. As long as you just want the full difference between mainline and
darcs-hs as a patch bundle on the list, that's a non-issue. I can send every
time any major work gets recorded.

> I would also like for the hashed-storage code to be reviewed if we're
> going to use this for darcs, at least until it becomes a mature
> standalone project that we can interact with in more spread out
> intervals.  It doesn't necessarily have to be on a patch by patch basis,
> or have to involve things being sent to darcs-users, but we should work
> out a way to get this done.
Well, the repository is obviously public, and I'm accepting patches. I'm also
open to questions regarding the code, just send them to darcs-users@ or
straight to me, whatever fits. I could also post new patches to darcs-users@
just as I push them to my public repository, if desired.

(Thinking of that, it may just work as well for darcs-hs repository: before
pushing to my public repo, I can darcs send --to darcs-users at darcs.net *against
my public repository*...)

Opinions?

Yours,