[darcs-users] can we get rid of perl requirement in our test suite?

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Wed May 27 14:02:16 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 15:57:35 +0200, Petr Rockai wrote:
> Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> writes:
> > In fact, I don't think optimize --relink even does anything on Windows!
>
> Even in the presence of NTFS hardlinking?

Relink uses maybe_relink.c which Salvatore's hardlinking patch does
not affect.

I'll paste a relevant comment snippet from maybe_relink.c below:

    Tries to link src to dst if both files exist and have the same
    contents.  If careful is false only the file sizes are compared; if
    it is true, the full contents are compared.

In the past, Simon Marlow submitted a patch that added hard linking
functionality to this file, but I had to roll it back for reasons I do
not remember (I remember it's something Juliusz pointed out).

The relevant discussion should be linked from the discussion on
Salvatore's patch.

Also: the test already disables itself on Windows, so until somebody
changes this, we can consider the Perl situation resolved -- no more
Perl needed under Windows.

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9