[darcs-users] [patch37] Store textual patch metadata encoded in UTF-8

Simon Michael simon at joyful.com
Tue Nov 3 21:27:21 UTC 2009

Hi Reinier, thanks a lot for working on this. I haven't studied the patch or the issue page, so please take this for
what it's worth. I have a project that stored content as utf-8 for some years. We were able to stamp out most
encoding/decoding-related errors, but not all of them, and there were certain features we could never support, like
searching for partial unicode strings. For the last while we have been converting to unicode as the internal format,
with strict decoding of incoming data and encoding of outgoing. This has been a lot of work. However I feel pretty
strongly that this is the more principled approach and the best hope for a robust solution. Text encoding not done right
or is one of those issues that never ends.

-Simon