[darcs-users] A formalization of Darcs patch theory using inverse semigroups (apfelmus)

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Wed Nov 4 15:27:24 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 22:15:53 +0100, Jean-Philippe Bernardy wrote:
> Just to sum up my take on this:
>
> >  http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jjacobson/patch-theory/
>
> Disclaimer: I haven't read the paper. (yet)

I don't mean to add to the reading list, but it sounds like anybody
interested in fleshing out a GUID-based patch theory would enjoy reading
about the Commutative Replicated Data Types research.

As the Operation Transformations people at Nancy explained to me, this
was the result of years of trying to come up with a good story for
conflicts in the OT world, giving up and thinking about about a GUID
based approach instead.  It sounds a lot like what seems to be happening
with the Darcs world.  The folks in Nancy say they've implemented this
by hacking up a version of the MediaWiki engine.  More details on the
bibliography.

  http://wiki.darcs.net/Theory/Bibliography

Maybe there's something to learn from this work?

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9