[darcs-users] plugins

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Wed Nov 4 17:38:33 UTC 2009

Thanks for the clarification

On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 18:32:32 +0100, Nicolas Pouillard wrote:
> I think there two kind of plugins:
>
> * Mercurial ones are plugins in traditional way, they are just modules (not
>   commands), reusing the core library and loaded by the main system.
>
> * Git ones are more UNIXy, first you have separated commands git-foo, they are
>   maybe hidden in some libexec directory, they may reuse the core library (or
>   not), and they are spawned by the main command.
>
> IMHO real plugins tends to turn your project into something much more complex
> than needed. I would prefer having, a core library, a set of commands, and a
> main command to polish up.

I think I was thinking more of the git-style plugins:

  http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1504

I'll note also that I'm not terribly attached to the idea of darcs
plugins.  I just thought it could relieve some pressure to implement new
functionality, and also in some sense extend the Darcs hacker community
beyond the Haskell-friendly world.  But I imagine it also leads to some
interesting new problems that we may not be prepared to solve.

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9