[darcs-users] plugins

Trent W. Buck twb at cybersource.com.au
Sun Nov 8 23:50:02 UTC 2009

Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> writes:

> Instead, we want to use something I believe is called a 'forcing
> function' (*) to make users consciously aware that they're installing
> a third party plugin that isn't part of Darcs proper.  The forcing
> function in question would be to require plugins to be specified in
> the user configuration, something like this:
>
>   frobnicate /home/me/darcs-frobnicator.py
>   show index /usr/local/bin/hashed-storage-show-index
>   show authors /usr/local/bin/darcs-show-authors
>   delta-debug /usr/local/bin/even-better-than-bisect
>
> (*) If you're a real UI guy, please forgive me if I've misunderstood the
>     idea as explained by Donald Norman and abused the terminology

Mercurial has this, and what happened was the Debian packager turned
them (all?) on by default in /etc (i.e. the system-wide defaults).  Hm,
that decision seems to have been reversed in current versions...

    mercurial (1.1.2-1) unstable; urgency=low

      [ Vernon Tang ]
      [...]
      * Don't enable extensions by default. (closes: #511872, #503865, #491109)